Welcome         Past Members         Gallery         History         Contact Us 



Scouting was started by Lord Baden Powell in 1907 and that was the same year that 1st Walton was registered with Scout Headquarters as 'Boy Scouts'. In 1910 it was the formation of Sea Scouts although it was some years before we made the change.

Wolf Cubs were formed in 1914 and immediately there were boys wanting to join as they had seen what the older boys were doing and naturally wanted to have the same fun and enjoyment.

It wasn't until 1982 that Beavers made the headlines and the group started with the youngest section which nationally today has the largest numbers of all sections.

There were a variety of places where the Scouts met over the first years – church halls, schools, above shops, and so on. The present HQ was built as a boys club and stood closed for a time when there came a chance to have a permanent home.

At the time the building stood alone surrounded by fields with access from Sunbury Lane called Accommodation Road. Where Thamesmead Estate now stands the field had dray horses grazing for the firm of timber merchants Gridley Miskin where Jewsons are now. These horses would bring timber from barges moored at the wharf at the end of Felix Road to the yard in Terrace Road. The area grew with the housing surrounding the HQ as it is today, is and has been where youngsters have joined the group.

It was the generosity of Frank Miskin that secured the building for the group.

In 2012 the Group made great strides to move the HQ from the present site to the river end of the recreation ground. To provide direct access to the river at towpath level with pupose built accommodation above to suit a modern Sea Scout Group with boys & girls in Beaver, Cub, Scout & Explorer sections.

Richard Holley,
Group Scout Leader.
December 2012.


For more information on the history of the group, please go to: www.waltonviking.org.uk/histot